You’ve probably never had tots quite like this before. Not only are these spuds one of the most fun and unique recipes we’ve ever made, they’re exploding with tons of flavor! They’re similar to twice baked potatoes, but instead of slicing them in half, you hollow them out, stand them up, wrap them in bacon, and smother them in barbecue sauce and cheese. Top them off with a lava flow of spiced sour cream and you’ve got a delightful dinner the whole family will enjoy!
1 hour to prepare serves 2
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 6-8 bacon slices
- 4 slices deli turkey, cut into strips (optional)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- barbecue sauce, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over potato to allow steam to escape. Place potatoes in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until partially cooked.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and hot sauce until combined. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Remove potatoes from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 350º F.
- Cut off 1/4-inch of the thick end so potatoes can stand upright. On the other side, cut off 1/4-inch and use an apple corer or a spoon to scoop out the inside of potato, making sure to leave 1/2-inch at the bottom and 1/4-inch at the sides of potato, so there’s still enough support for the bacon and cheese. (Save the scooped out potato and set aside.)
- Starting at the bottom of each potato, wrap bacon around the base and up to the top. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a medium bowl, mix together scooped out potato and turkey slices. Add one spoonful turkey mixture to the inside of potato and top with a pinch of cheddar cheese. Continue layering until potatoes are full. Top with any remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place potatoes in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are heated through and cheese is melted.
- During last 5 minutes, brush on preferred barbecue sauce.
- Remove potatoes from oven and drizzle sour cream mixture over the top and let it drip down the sides.
- Top with green onion and serve immediately!
Recipe adapted from BBQ FOOD 4 U