We always have a bag of frozen tater tots on hand – they’re super convenient, and not only make the perfect snack for kids and adults alike, but also make a delicious addition to main dishes as well. We incorporated them into our latest casserole creation, loaded with chicken, bacon, and tons of vibrant, southwestern flavors. Cream cheese, sour cream, and a zesty Mexican cheese blend make this dish irresistible, and crispy, golden tater tots provide the perfect potato crunch. If you’re in need of an easy, crowd pleasing dinner, this is the recipe for you!
Chicken Bacon Tater Tot Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped, divided
- 8-10 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, optional
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare tater tots according to package directions, or until crispy.
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together sour cream and cream cheese until combined, then season with hot sauce, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Fold in chicken, onions and 1/4 cup green onions, and stir everything together.
- Pour chicken mixture into your baking dish and top with crispy tater tots. Sprinkle cheese, crumbled bacon, and remaining green onions over the top.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Singing Through The Rain