We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, meatballs are just as good as a stand-alone dish as they are when paired with spaghetti and red sauce, and these ones are covered in a creamy, cheesy bechamel sauce that’s impossible to resist. We serve this dish with a crusty loaf of garlic bread and it gets completely demolished when we set it down on the table. Get yourself a side of greens and call it a day…these meatballs steal the show every time!
Cheesy Bechamel-Covered Meatballs
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, combine beef pork, parmesan, breadcrumbs, garlic, egg, milk, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands or two forks, mix everything together until fully combined, then roll out into 1-inch balls and transfer to a large baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until browned on the outside.
- While meatballs are baking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously, or until roux is golden and smooth and paste-like. 5-7 minutes.
- While continuing to whisk, stir in whole milk, then bring mixture to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove meatballs from oven and transfer to a baking dish or oven-proof skillet, then cover with bechamel sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Return meatballs to oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they’re cooked all the way through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with garlic bread.
Recipe adapted from The View From Great Island