Sure, you can go out and buy a big can of beans. Add in some microwaved hotdogs (yum…). And you’ll probably enjoy it. Probably. But will you really feel satisfied? Can you ever really feel satisfied from a meal like that? No. But don’t fret. Our Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans recipe has all the satisfaction and enjoyment you desire in a meal. There’s beans, bacon, molasses, and even booze! I make this by the truck full and keep it ready in the fridge at all times. You should too!
Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans
30min to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 1/2-2 pounds kidney or navy beans, covered by 1-2 inches of water and soaked overnight
- 1 pound slab bacon, rind removed and cubed
- 1 medium white onion, peeled
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- After beans have spent the night soaking, drain them and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine molasses, brown sugar, rum (if using) and mustard with 3 cups water and cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warmed through. 6-8 minutes.
- Place bacon cubes in the bottom of slow cooker and poke cloves into your peeled onion.
- Add onion to slow cooker and pour drained beans on top.
- Pour molasses mixture over the beans and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Note: stir beans occasionally and add more water, if needed.
- Remove onion and serve beans, with bacon…enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Chow