Chili is one of those dishes that truly satisfies. It's hearty. It's healthy. And this recipe is all that and a bag of chips! That is, if you get a bag of chips to go with it. I recommend Fritos.
30min to prepare serves 8-10
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped; 1 green, 1 red
- 3 (15 oz) cans chili beans
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 cup beer (1 cup for the chili that is. The rest for you!)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 4 tablespoons bacon bits ( no need to limit yourself here)
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt OR two cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 (8 oz) package cheddar cheese, garnish
- 1 chili, chopped and seeded
- In a large stockpot, evenly brown meat and onions over medium-high heat until meat is cooked through, stirring often. Drain fat.
- Add in the (spicy) chili beans, tomatoes and paste, bell peppers, corn, bacon bits and beer. If using chili pepper and/or minced garlic, add in here. Stir well.
- Flavor with chili powder, cumin, sugar, and salt and pepper. If using hot sauce or garlic salt, use here. Stir, cover and simmer, on low heat, for 1-2 hours. (Flavor will get better the longer it cooks; after two hours taste and adjust seasoning if needed.)
- Remove from heat and serve or chill and serve the next day. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted fromAmerican Heart Association.