Our Slow Cooker Smoky Barbecue Beef Brisket Sandwiches (say that three times fast) are the perfect balance of savory and tender. Usually a tougher meat, beef brisket offers little fat and loads of protein. But with this method it doesn't end up chewy and tough like a sad piece of meat-rubber. It's succulent. It's juicy. It's a mouthful of heaven. This meat was meant to be slow cooked. And when paired with this homemade barbecue sauce, so sweet and tangy, it'll be the best you've had.
Slow Cooker Smoky Barbecue Beef Brisket Sandwiches
30min prep; 8 hours cooking to prepare serves 6-8
- 4 pounds beef brisket
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6-8 hamburger buns
- BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together BBQ ingredients: ketchup, brown sugar, water, vinegar, Worcestershire, adobo sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker.
- Heat a large sauté pan or heavy skillet over medium heat and pour in olive oil.
- Once hot, add onions and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions have caramelized.
- Remove brisket from packaging and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a second large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sear both sides of brisket just until you get a nice, dark crust.
- Remove brisket and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cumin, chili powder, brown sugar and cayenne pepper and mix together well to create seasoning.
- Cut brisket in half widthwise and rub all over with brisket seasoning.
- Place both halves fat side up in the slow cooker.
- Carefully press minced garlic into meat and place caramelized onions on top and around brisket.
- Then pour in beef broth and stir liquids around the meat.
- Cover and cook brisket on low for 8 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket from slow cooker and place on a clean cutting board.
- Slice meat into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
- Use a spoon to remove fat from top of cooking sauce and discard.
- Arrange sliced meat on hamburger buns and pour sauce over the top.
- Eat immediately!
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn