Cheese and bacon. Bacon and cheese. And mixed up with all the right kinds of spice. I'm pretty sure half of all Journey's songs were really about this. “Anyway You Want It,” “I'll Be Alright With You,” “Be Good To Yourself,” and of course, “Don't Stop Believin'.” I totally get it.
And this recipe is more than just about food. It's a statement. These two tasty treats, intertwined forever in a spicy tryst that I could eat insatiably over and over again, mmmmmmm… You should just make this now. Journey soundtrack optional.
Cheesy Bacon Puff-Pastry Twists
30min to prepare 12-14 twists
- 1 package refrigerated puff pastry
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 12-14 slices thickly cut bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- garnish kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- maple syrup, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray a wire rack with non-stick spray.
- Unfold puff pastry and evenly sprinkle cayenne over the dough.
- Top with cheddar cheese, then lightly go over with a rolling pin to press cheese into the pastry.
- Cut puff pastry into 12-14 thin strips (about 1/2-inch each)
- Fold each strip in half (Pinch edges together to seal).
- Taking one end in each hand, twist each strip several times.
- Take a slice of bacon and wrap it around each twist.
- Combine brown sugar, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix together.
- Carefully take each twist and press it into the sugar mixture until coated on all sides.
- Place twists on wire rack.
- Place wire rack on lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until bacon is crispy and puff pastry is cooked through.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with oregano, if using.
- Garnish with oregano, if desired.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup.
Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest