Beer can chicken. Drunken chicken. Beer-Butt Chicken. Dancing Chicken. Whatever you call it, it’s delicious and it’s simple to make. Take a whole bird, rub it with seasoning, stuff a beer up it’s butt, and set it on an open flame. This is American grilling at it’s finest. And in fact, something so American only tailgaters in the 70’s could have created it – which they did. Nothing says I’m ready for sports like sitting outside, drinking beer, and grilling.
For ours, we used a standard beer and chicken holder, but there are lots of options out there. Make sure to open whatever beer you decide to use drink about half of it. You don’t want it to be too full that it overflows everywhere. Also, make some extra holes in the top to allow for more venting. This should get your bird nice and drunk.
Beer Can Chicken
45min to prepare serves 4-6
- Rad Chicken
- Your preferred dry rub
- Wash Chicken - Just some water will do. Keep your Old Spice where it is.
- Oil Chicken - This allows the salt and rub to stick better.
- Salt Chicken - Get it ready for the rub down.
- Create Your Rub (Or pull from your favorite Rub Container) - A rub is a very person thing, so we think you should go with what makes you happy.
- Rub Chicken Generously - Give it a good rub down and get those spices everywhere. You're going for maximum flavor here.
- Mount Chicken on Beer Can - There's no graceful way to say this or do it. Good luck.
- BBQ - Medium to Medium High indirect heat (Chicken over off or low grill) Approx. 75 minutes, until internal Chicken temp is 162-165 degrees Get meat temp from deepest part of thigh meat.
- Let sit 10 minutes - Really, just look at your creation for a moment. Bask in the awesomeness of it. Revel in it's beauty. Because once you start digging in there's no stopping.
- Hack that bitch up and enjoy like a boss!