This recipe is like making really good, buttery and bacony mashed potatoes with a built in edible spoon/shovel. It’s the ultimate bacon delivery method. And this snack goes with just about everything. And it’s good just about all the time. Watching a movie or event? Make these. Having friends over? Make these. Sitting alone and binge-watching something on Netflix? You should definitely make these. Not doing anything but want to stuff something delicious in your face? Make these of course! See? Ultimate snack.
But the key to making these really great is to make sure the bacon is crispy and crunchy. Don’t worry about letting it sit for too long. You’ll want them to crumble when you’re done drying them. That’s how you’ll get the bacony flavors to permeate the entire mashed mixture and maximize your taste experience. You do want to maximize your taste experience, don’t you? That’s rhetorical. Of course you do! Now go pleasure yourself with some deliciousness.
Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Potato Skins
2 hours to prepare 5-10 (depending on hunger levels)
- 10 baking potatoes
- 1/4 cups regular or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 10 strips bacon
- shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- BAKE: Preheat oven to 415º F. Take a fork and pierce potatoes all over, then place in oven and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the outsides are crispy and the insides are doughy. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes, then cut in half horizontally.
- MIX: Scoop out insides of potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Place potato skins on a tray or baking sheet and cover until ready to use. Note: if preparing ahead of time, just preheat oven again to 415º F when ready. Heat olive oil in a pan or skillet over medium-high heat, then add minced shallots and sauté until translucent. 2-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Crumble bacon into bits. Add sour cream and cheddar cheese into the bowl of potato filling, then stir in bacon, shallots, and heavy cream. Mix until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- REBAKE: Spoon potato filling into hollowed out potato skins and return them to baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- STUFF INTO FACE!